Photograph by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe (1853-1941) of Whitby Harbour, taken at Coffee House Corner on the harbour front. The man in the foreground is probably carrying a barrel of salted fish. In the background is the East Cliff with the town in the distance and St Mary's Church on the horizon. Sutcliffe is best known for his naturalistic and spontaneous style of photography, especially his portrayals of Whitby's fishing community. He was a founder member of The Linked Ring Brotherhood and was made an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society in 1941.
© NMeM / Kodak Collection / Science & Society