Lithograph by C F Cheffins after a drawing by John C Bourne. William Symington (1763-1831), British pioneer of marine steam propulsion, designed the engine of this famous early steamboat. She was used on the Forth and Clyde canal for experiments by Lord Dundas of Kerse on the use of steam tugs instead of horses for towing vessels. In March 1802, she towed two loaded vessels, each of 70 tons burden, for a distance of 19.2 miles in 6 hours against a strong wind, but the canal owners decided against using steam tugs due to the likely damage to the banks that would arise from the wash from the paddles. Illustration from 'A sketch of the origin and progress of steam navigation from authentic documents' by Bennet Woodcroft (1803-1879) published in London in 1848.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library