'The Remaining Obelisk and Ruins of Temple at Luxor', Egypt, c 1870s.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Autotype by Harroun & Bierstadt from 'Egyptian Obelisks' by Henry H Gorringe, (New York, 1882). This obelisk was erected by Rameses II (1304-1237 BC) at the Luxor Temple. It is made of red granite, weighs about 250 tons and is 25 metres tall. Another similar one was given to France by Egypt and erected in Paris in the Place de la Concorde in 1836.