Patent drawing (drawn on stone) by Malby and Sons of 1856 of the patent submitted on 12 June 1770 by James Hargreaves (c 1720-1778). Originally dating from 1765, the Spinning Jenny was a hand-powered multiple spinning machine and the first machine to improve upon the spinning wheel. The spinner would turn the driving wheel with his right hand, causing the spindles to rotate, while managing the draw bar, with which he controlled the drafting of the threads, with his left hand. Spinning with a jenny was not a continuous proces, and other alternative methods (for instance, using Arkwright's waterframe) were later widely adopted. Printed by George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswoode, London.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library