Workers and machinery at the Vickers factory in Sheffield. In 1897 the Vickers firm bought the Barrow Ship Building Company (BSBC) and Maxim Nordenfelt. The company was renamed Vickers, Sons & Maxim Limited. At the turn of the 20th century they claimed that they were 'the only shipbuilder capable of designing, building, engineering and arming their own vesels'. Illustration from 'Vickers Sons and Maxim, Limited', by Alexander Richardson (1864-1928), published in London in 1902.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library