HMS 'Victory' in Portsmouth Harbour with a coal ship alongside, 1828.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Etching after his own drawing by Edward William Cooke (1811-1880), of possibly the most famous warship in the history of the Royal Navy. HMS 'Victory' was the flagship of Admiral Lord Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Victory was built at Chatham in 1759-1765 to the design of Sir Thomas Slade, and then rebuilt between 1800 and 1803. At Trafalgar she carried a total of 102 guns. Victory's active career ended in 1812, and in 1922 she was moved to Portsmouth dockyard, where she has been restored and attracts some 350,000 visitors a year as a tourist attraction. Illustration from Cooke's 'Fifty plates of shipping and craft' published in London in 1829.