Lithograph by G Hawkins after his own drawing, showing the preparations for raising the second tube. The Conway Tubular Bridge, which was built acros the River Conwy, Gwynedd, in 1849, was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) as part of the Chester to Holyhead Railway. The main span of the bridge is 125 metres. On the right is Conway (now Conwy) Castle.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library