Ackermann's library for works of art, 1813.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Hand coloured etching and aqua tint by J Blunk after Augustus Pugin from a collection of prints and books documenting the early history of the gas industry amased by Sir Arthur Elton. Ackermann's library was one of the first places to be illuminated by gas, using fittings by F C Accum. Rudolph Ackermann was a patron of artists and engravers and founded his Repository of Arts in the Strand in 1783.