The conservatory at Carlton House, Pall Mall, London, c 1810.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Hand-coloured etching and aquatint, from a collection of prints and books documenting the early history of the gas industry amased by Sir Arthur Elton, showing gas lights in the conservatory at Carlton House. Carlton House was originally the property of Henry Boyle, who was created Baron of Carleton for his support of the Whig party. After his death the house was sold to Frederick the Prince of Wales and the property remained the residence of the heir to the throne until its demolition in 1826. The conservatory was commisioned by George, Prince of Wales (1762-1830), later George IV, c 1805 and was completed in a gothic style by Thomas Hopper (1756-1856).