From a collection of prints and books documenting the early history of the gas industry amased by Sir Arthur Elton. On 28 January 1807 Pall Mall became the first street of any city to be gas lit and in front of Carlton House a row of gas lights can be seen. Carlton House was originally the property of Henry Boyle, who was created Baron of Carleton for his support of the Whig party. Carlton House was demolished in 1826. William Wilkins, architect of the National Gallery, obtained the pillars from the facade of Carlton House to use in the central portico of the gallery building in Trafalgar Square. Ultimately the pillars were deemed too small for the front portico but are believed to form part of the east and west porticos.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library