Perspective view of Covent Garden flower market, London, 19th century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Illustration by Daumont. The original plans for Covent Garden were designed by Inigo Jones (1573-1652) in the 1630s. On the right of the image is St Paul's Church which was built to Inigo Jones' design. The original arcaded houses in Jones' Piazza are now all but gone. As has the fruit and vegetable market that dominated the main square which was relocated to Nine Elms, Battersea, in around 1965. Covent Garden as it stands today is mostly asociated with small busineses (the grocer J Sainsbury began by opening a small dairy shop in Drury Lane) and theatres including the famous Royal Opera House.