St Luke's Hospital, London, 1809.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Aquatint by Stadler, after an original drawing by Thomas Rowlandson (1756-1827) and Augustus Pugin (1762-1832), from Ackerman's 'Repository of Arts' (1808). St Luke's Hospital for Lunatics was opened in Old Street, London, in 1751, and was an asylum for the poor. Distresed women are seen here in the asylum interior.