Lithograph from a French publication, serving as an example of the world interest in the exhibition, showing the whole exterior site with visiting crowds. This was posibly part of a booklet guide to the exhibition. The International Exhibition building in South Kensington was designed by Captain Frances Fowke (1823-1865) and was held on the site which now houses the South Kensington museums, including the Science Museum. The exhibition was intended to both stimulate trade and have popular appeal. The building, which covered 23 acres of land and cost £300,000, was constructed by Charles and Thomas Lucas and Sir John Kelk on land purchased from the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library