International Exhibition building, London, 1862.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving of the exterior of the exhibition building, designed by Captain Frances Fowke (1823-1865). The International Exhibition was held in South Kensington, on the site which now houses the South Kensington museums, including the Science Museum. The exhibition was intended to both stimulate trade and have popular appeal. The building, which covered 23 acres of land and cost £300,000, was constructed by Charles and Thomas Lucas and Sir John Kelk on land purchased from the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851.