International Exhibition, London, 1862.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Interior showing the nave from the western dome. The International Exhibition was held in South Kensington, on the site which now houses the South Kensington museums, including the Science Museum. The exhibition was intended to both stimulate trade and have popular appeal. The building made to house the exhibition was designed by Captain Frances Fowke (1823-1865) and was built by Charles and Thomas Lucas and Sir John Kelk on land purchased from the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The building, which covered 23 acres of land and cost £300,000, was undertaken by Sir John Kelk.