Tinted lithograph showing the exterior stairs and terraces at the Garden front of the Crystal Palace which was built to house the 'Great Exhibition of the Works of the Industry of all Nations', an idea conceived by Prince Albert (1819-1861). The building was the first large-scale prefabricated ferrovitreous (iron and glas) structure and was designed by the landscape designer Joseph Paxton (1801-1865). The prefabricated design made the construction, and later dismantling, easier and quicker. It was removed from Hyde Park, London, after the Great Exhibition and re-erected in Sydenham where it was opened by Queen Victoria (1819-1901) on 10 June 1854.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library