'Native of Nukahiwa', c 1804-1806.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Etching by J A Atkinson after his own drawing, of a tattooed Polynesian man. Nukahiwa is now called Nuku Hiva, and is the largest of the Iles Marquises (Marquesas Islands), in French Polynesia. Ivan Fedorovich Kruzenshtern (1770-1846) arrived there in May 1804 and traded with its inhabitants. Kruzenshtern was a German who commanded the first Rusian circumnavigation of the world. This is the frontispiece from volume one of his 'Voyage around the world, in the years 1803, 1804, 1805 & 1806' (1813).