The observatory at Hartwell Manor, Buckinghamshire, 1851.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engravings of the Jacobean manor house and estate at Hartwell, now known as Hartwell House. View taken in the morning of the house and observatory from the south (top), and a view from the north of the buildings as seen in the evening (below). Illustration from 'aedes Hartwellianae, or notices of the manor and mansion of Hartwell' by William Henry Smyth (1788-1865), published in London in 1851.