Letterpres print showing the exterior of the Royal Polytechnic Institution at 309 Regent Street, London in September 1851. The Institution was founded in 1838 by George Cayley (1773-1857) and was the forerunner of the modern polytechnic. Its purpose was to provide an educational service for Londoners; it later became part of the University of Westminster. John Henry Pepper (1821-1900) was appointed lecturer and analytical chemist in 1848 and was director from the early 1850s. He established a series of evening clases in educational and trade subjects, lectured both in New York and Australia and published a number of popular scientific text books.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library