Engraving by J Harwood showing the railway viaduct designed by William Cubitt for the South Eastern Railway (SER) near the port of Folkestone. The railway reached Folkestone in 1843. The company purchased the harbour, built a line down to the docks and began operating a steam ferry service to Boulogne where pasengers could resume their journey on the continent. On arriving in France travellers had to switch to road transport, as the railways on the French side of the Channel did not reach the coast until the early 1860s. The coming of the railways to Folkestone considerably increased the town's prosperity in the 19th century. Previously a quiet fishing port, Folkestone became a popular holiday resort as well as a gateway for travel to Europe.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library