'The Willington Dean Viaduct', Tyne & Wear, 19th century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph by T M Richardson. 'The arches of this viaduct 126 feet span each, consist of three ribs formed of deats with timber framing above. The piers and abutements are of stone- the total length is 1050 feet'. Designed and engineered by John and Benjamin Green, the viaduct was part of the Newcastle, North-Shields & Tynemouth Railway. The viaduct opened in 1838. Published by F Loraine, Grey Street, Newcastle.