Engraving by W Collard, after J W Carmichael. The Ouseburn Viaduct was designed and engineered by John and Benjamin Green for the Newcastle & North Shields Railway. When it opened on 18 June 1839 it measured 280 metres in length by 15.25 metres wide, and in 1887 was turned from being two tracks wide to four. Ten years prior, in 1867-1869, the arches had been rebuilt in iron.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library