'Perspective view of the Great Central Railway Station, Derby', c 1840.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by C Cole after J F Burrell. In 1844 the Midland Counties, the Birmingham & Derby Junction and the North Midland railways merged to become the Midland Railway. Designed by Francis Thompson, the new joint station measured 1,050 ft long. The station suffered badly in the bombings of WW2 and was finally demolished in 1952-1954.