Princes Alexandra's arrival at the Bricklayers' Arms Station, London, 1863.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph of Princes Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925) arriving at Bricklayers' Arms Station in Bermondsey, London on 3 March 1863, for her marriage to Edward, Prince of Wales, later Edward VII. The Bricklayer's Arms Station (also known as 'West End station') was built by Cubitt in 1844 and was used as a terminus for the south-eastern railways (L&G, L&B, LBSCR and SER) before the completion of the new London Bridge station. It was then converted into a goods depot. Regular pasenger traffic was worked in and out of Bricklayers' Arms until the beginning of 1852. The station re-emerged as a pasenger terminus for one day - on March 3, 1863 - when the special train carrying the future Queen Alexandra from Gravesend made use of it.