Handcoloured etching and steel engraving by H Adlard after John O'Connor. Cannon Street Station, the London terminus of the South Eastern Railway, was opened in 1866, it's 'yawning jaws' opening into a station of unsually large proportions. A shuttle service was established between Cannon Street and Charing Cros, which, at a fare of two pence, was a popular method of avoiding congestion and carried three million people a year until it was superceeded by the underground. The station building survived largely intact until 1941 when the roof was damaged by bombing, but the two pillars either side of the entrance remain. In the foreground is Alexandra Bridge, built to serve the City terminus of the South East Railway in 1866 and designed by Sir John Wolfe Barry (1836-1918).
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library