'Palace for the People, Muswell Hill', 1873.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph showing the design for the first palace built at Muswell Hill named Alexandra Palace. The original Alexandra Palace was opened in 1873 and contained exhibition spaces, a museum, a lecture hall and library. The site was served by a branch line of the Great Northern Railway to Highgate that can be seen underneath the building in the image. The original structure burnt down 16 days after opening and a second Alexandra Palace opened two years later on 1 May 1875. This building partly burnt down again on 10 July 1980.