Shrewsbury Station, Shropshire, 1847.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph in black and stone by J W Giles after L N Henshaw. Shewsbury Station was designed by T M Penson and built in 1849. In order to blend in with the nearby castle, visible on the right of the image, Penson designed the station in a neo Tudor style. It features a central clock tower and a double oriel window. Subsequent generations have added many extensions to the main station building illustrated here.