'The Conway Tubular Bridge and Castle', 1848.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph by G Hawkins from a drawing by G Pickering. The Conway Tubular Bridge, which was built in 1849, was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) as part of the Chester to Holyhead Railway. The main span of the bridge is 125 metres. On the left of the image is Conwy Castle (formerly known as Conway).