Plan and view of the pier, 'drawn from actual admeasurement' by architect T W Clisby. The pier was designed by Samuel Brown (1776-1852) and built at a cost of £30,000, as an embarkation point for cros-Channel traffic. The deck was 1,154 feet long, supported by chains suspended from four cast-iron towers. These rested on wooden piles driven into the seabed. The chains were attached to 3-ton steel plates which were set in cement in the cliff. A great storm on 4 December 1896 completely destroyed the pier, and wreckage damaged the new Palace Pier, as well as the West Pier and Volk's Electric Railway. Illustration from 'The Brighton chain pier' by John George Bishop, published in Brighton in 1897.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library