Mr Cooper's refracting telescope, 23 September 1831.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Print of the refracting telescope asembled by Edward Joshua Cooper (1798-1863) in 1831. It was fitted with a 13.5 inch lens acquired from the French optician Robert-Aglae Cauchoix in Paris. The telescope, with a wooden square section tube, is illustrated on a temporary mounting by the English telescope maker, Charles Tulley. The lithograph of the instrument shows it being adjusted in the garden of Mr Cornfield in Clapham, London. Thomas Grubb of Dublin rebuilt the telescope in 1834, using an equatorial mounting, when it was moved to Mr Cooper's estate at Markree Castle, County Sligo in Ireland. For a brief period Mr Cooper owned the largest refracting telescope built up till that time.