'The Observatory', Cambridge University, Cambridge, 1825.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Print showing the exterior of the University Observatory, Cambridge that now forms part of the Institute of Physics. This engraving is taken from Cambridge University Almanack 1825 and is titled 'The Observatory. Completed in 1823, he observatory was furnished with a transit instrument and a mural circle that were housed in meridian rooms. These had slotted shutters, seen left and right of the portico, allowing the user to observe the sky along a north-south line. The observatory was also provided with a universal instrument, an equatorially mounted small telescope, which was housed in the dome on the top of the building.