'Mr Bishop's observatory from the north east', Twickenham, Middlesex, 1869.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph, printed by Day and Son, showing the observatory built in Twickenham in 1861 by George Bishop. Bishop was a wealthy businesman and amateur astronomer who had amased a fortune from producing wine. Bishop had previously built an observatory with a 7 inch refractor telescope in Regent's Park in 1836 where he employed the astronomer, William R. Dawes (1799-1866), from 1839 to 1844. Later, in 1868, he also employed William E. Plummer (1849-1928) in Regent's Park, where he made observations of the stars and computed the orbits of comets. Plummer became known as the only Englishman, apart from Halley, to predict the return of comets.