Radcliffe Observatory, Oxford, 1 April 1814.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Hand-coloured aquatint by Joseph Stadler after a drawing by W. Westall showing an exterior view of the Radcliffe Observatory, taken from Ackermann's 'History of the University of Oxford'. The Radcliffe Observatory in Oxford was built and enlarged through funds bequeathed by John Radcliffe (1650-1714). The two-volume history of Oxford contained over 80 plates illustrating the most significant buildings in the city.