Photograph showing the interior of the optical factory works of the company of Sir Howard Grubb, Parsons and Co in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. Dated 1938, this view from the north side of the polar axis shows the 74 inch reflecting telescope being built for the Radcliffe Observatory at Pretoria in South Africa. Ordered in 1935 the telescope was not finally finished until 1948 due to difficulties over the supply of pyrex glas for its mirror and the disruption of WW2. The telescope now resides at the Sutherland station of the South African Astronomical Observatory.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library