Drawing of an equatorial refracting telescope in its dome, 1928.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph showing a cros-section drawing of the observatory building and the 41 inch refracting telescope ordered by the Rusian government for its new Nikolaieff Observatory in the Crimea. It was to be built by the company of Sir Howard Grubb, Parsons and Co in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. Due to WW1 and the Rusian Revolution construction of the telescope did not start until the 1920s. Despite the tube, mounting and observatory building being completed the Rusian government cancelled the project. Although glas for the lens had been cast it was never worked into a finished objective lens. These are preserved at the Newcastle Science Museum.