Construction of a 41 inch equatorial refractor telescope, 1928.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photograph showing a partly asembled dome being built by the company of Sir Howard Grubb, Parsons and Co in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. The dome was to house a 41 inch refracting telescope ordered by the Rusian government for its new Nikolaieff Observatory in the Crimea. Due to WW1 and the Rusian Revolution construction of the telescope did not start until the 1920s. Despite the tube, mounting and observatory building being completed the Rusian government cancelled the project. Although glas for the lens had been cast it was never worked into a finished objective lens. These are preserved at the Newcastle Science Museum