Coloured sectioned drawing showing a 1 metre (40 inch) aperture reflecting telescope with mounting inside its observatory building. These plans show the telescope ordered by the Rusian government for its new Nikolaieff Observatory in the Crimea. Due to WW1 (1914-1918) and the Rusian Revolution (1917) the telescope was not delivered until 1928 to the now renamed Simeis Observatory. During WW2 the telescope was utterly destroyed due to enemy. It was subsequently replaced by another telescope taken from Germany as war reparations.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library