Photograph of the site, shown by stone markers, of the observatory erected by the Reverend Fearson Fallows during 1820. Lying within the ground of the Cape Observatory, South Africa it was replaced by a permanent building whose construction was started in 1825. Fallows was sent by the British Admiralty to Cape Town to establish a new observatory. It was hoped that by studying the southern heavens it would be posible to improve maps so that sailors could safely navigate to the Cape of Good Hope.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library