The 'Bibby' Cakettes and Meal, calendar, 1908.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The April page of Bibby's promotional calendar of 1908 features an advertisement for cakettes and meal. The page illustrates cows eating the products in a field with the caption 'for good rich milk'. Bibby's was founded near Lancaster in 1878 when two brothers, James and Joseph Bibby, began mixing ingredients to produce animal foodstuffs for cattle and calves. In 1885 the company acquired two warehouses in Liverpool and moved their busines there. All their animal feeds were produced there until 1950 when the company began gradually to expand. In 1991, now as J Bibby Agriculture, the company became part of Asociated British Nutrition (ABN), the agricultural arm of Asociated British Foods.