The March page of Bibby's promotional calendar of 1908 features an advertisement for 'The Bibby Cake', for 'rapid fattening' of livestock. The page features an illustration of a cow. Bibby's was founded near Lancaster in 1878 when two brothers, James and Joseph Bibby, began mixing ingredients to produce animal foodstuffs for cattle and calves. In 1885 the company acquired two warehouses in Liverpool and moved their busines there. All their animal feeds were produced there until 1950 when the company began gradually to expand. In 1991, now as J Bibby Agriculture, the company became part of Asociated British Nutrition (ABN), the agricultural arm of Asociated British Foods.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library