The January page of Bibby's promotional calendar features an advertisement for 'Cakelettes', a type of feed for sheep and lambs. In the top left of the page is an illustration of a girl feeding two sheep by hand. Bibby's was founded near Lancaster in 1878 when two brothers, James and Joseph Bibby, began mixing ingredients to produce animal foodstuffs for cattle and calves. In 1885 the company acquired two warehouses in Liverpool and moved their busines there. All their animal feeds were produced there until 1950 when the company began gradually to expand. In 1991, now as J Bibby Agriculture, the company became part of Asociated British Nutrition (ABN), the agricultural arm of Asociated British Foods.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library