'Graving Dock, No 1, East Side of River Usk, Newport, Monmouthshire', c 1850.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving, showing a view of the docks at Newport, South Wales, with a stemship under construction in dry dock. Easily accesible via the tidal estuary of the River Usk, Newport was an important trading port from Medieval times. In the 19th century the town grew rapidly due to the export of coal and iron ore through the port, and new docks were built to serve the increasing volume of shipping.