'Great Water Wheel, Laxey Mines (Isle of Man)', c 1857.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving showing the aqueduct and the 'Lady Isabella' water wheel at the mines at Laxey, Isle of Man. This 72 foot diameter water wheel was built in 1854 to pump water out of the iron ore mines at Laxey. It gained its name from the wife of Charles Hope, the Lieutenant-Governor of the island, who presided at the opening ceremony.