'The Temporary Bridge at Blackfriars', London, 1760s.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by R Godfrey, published in 1775, showing the bridge acros the Thames at Blackfriars during construction. Work on the bridge, built to Robert Mylne's design, began in 1760 and the bridge opened in 1769. It was replaced by the modern Blackfriars Bridge in 1869.