Chromolithograph by E Walker, showing part of the Victoria Embankment designed by Joseph Bazalgette, chief engineer to the Metropolitan Board of Works, and the steamboat landing pier at Waterloo Bridge. The Victoria Embankment, on the north side of the Thames, opened in 1870. The embankment's main purpose was to accommodate Bazalgette's new main sewer and the Metropolitan District underground railway. It also provided a pleasant thoroughfare along the riverbank, with a promenade and gardens, as well as reducing the risk of flooding.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library