'The Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge', United States/Canada, 1849.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph by William Endicott showing the suspension road bridge built over the gorge of the Niagara River below Niagara Falls on the US-Canadian border. The bridge, which was the first to be built acros the river, was designed by an American civil engineer, Charles Ellet Jr, and opened on 1 August 1848. It was 762 feet long, with an 8 foot-wide roadway made from oak planks, suspended 220 feet above the river.