'The New Swivel Bridge over the Esk at Whitby', North Yorkshire, 1835.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph by F H Abraham after an original drawing by F Pickernell, civil engineer. This bridge in Whitby Harbour was designed by Francis Pickernell at the same time as other improvements to the harbour, including a new lighthouse. The bridge was was built with three stone arches and a cast iron swivel bridge which could be moved to allow ships to pas through. It was completed in 1835.