'The New Trent Bridge', Nottingham, 1871.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph by Brown & Whiting. The Trent Bridge was opened by John Manning, Mayor of Nottingham, on 25 July 1871. A three-span iron road bridge, the New Trent Bridge relaced an earlier many-arched stone structure. The main illustration of the bridge is surrounded by vignettes depicting (clockwise from top left): St Mary's Church; Nottingham Castle; Market Place, Nottingham; Old Trent Bridge.