Coloured lithograph. The Rolle Canal, also known as the Torrington Canal, was built in north Devon in 1823-1824. Financed by Lord Rolle, it was constructed to transport the output of the corn mills on his estate to the estuary of the River Torridge and the port of Bideford. The project involved the construction of an aqueduct to carry the canal acros the Torridge. The canal closed in 1871 in the face of competition from the railways.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library