Photographic postcard. The transporter bridge over the Mersey at Runcorn opened in 1905. The design was chosen as being a relatively inexpensive crosing for road traffic that was high enough above the river to allow acces for shipping. A trolley ran on rails along the gantry, with a car suspended underneath at the same level as the road acces on either side of the bridge. People and vehicles were carried acros in the car. The Runcorn Transporter Bridge was the longest continually operating bridge of its type in the world. The growth in vehicle traffic and the slownes of loading and unloading the car rendered the transporter bridge obsolete however, and in the early 1960s it was replaced by a single-arch high-level road bridge and demolished.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library